1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock, warmed
1/4 cup whipping cream or milk
1 onion, coarsley chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
3 cups cooked chicken meat, cubed
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
salt and black pepper
beaten egg, for glazing
For the crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup crisco or vegetable shortning
4-8 tablespoons icewater
- To make the crust, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons ice water and mix until dough holds together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in waxed paper and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a small bowl. Add hot water to cover and soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Lift out of the water with a slotted spoon, to leave any grit behind, and drain. Discard the soaking water.
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook until bubbling whisking constantly. Add the warm stock and cook over medium heat, whisking, until the mixture boils. Cook 2-3 minutes more. Whisk in the cream or milk. season with salt and pepper. Put to one side.
- Heat the remaining butter in a large nonstick frying pan until foamy. Ass the onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the celery and fresh mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the chicken, peas, and drained porcini mushrooms.
- Add the chicken mixture to the sauce and stir. Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a rectangular 10 cup baking dish.
- Roll out th dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out a rectangle about 1 inch larger all around than the dish. Lay the rectangle of dough over the filling. Make a decorative crimped edge by pushing the index finger of one hand between the thumb and index finger of the other.
- cut several vents in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush with the egg to glaze.
- Press together the dough trimmings, then roll out again. cut into strips and lay them over the top crust. Glaze again. If desired, roll small balls of dough and set them in the "windows" in the lattice.
- Bake until th top crust is browned, about 30 minutes. Serve the pie hot.